Primary Teacher Training
Together with South Bromsgrove High School, we are the North Worcestershire Teacher Training Hub accredited by the University of Worcester to provide high quality, school centred teacher training.
The North Worcestershire Teacher Training Partnership
The North Worcestershire Teacher Training Partnership has experienced mentors who are involved in the planning and development of this school centred teacher training course. Every trainee is assigned a mentor who you will meet with regularly, to review and set targets and to support your progress.
The Spire leads the North Worcestershire Teacher Training Hub at Primary level alongside South Bromsgrove High School at Secondary level.
The Hub works closely with our accreditor the University of Worcester. The University has a long-standing reputation for training excellent, highly employable teachers and was rated as outstanding by OFSTED in 2023. Personalised academic and professional tutoring, from a range of experienced tutors and mentors, ensures that you will be supported throughout your course and in transition from trainee to an early career teacher.
Find out more about our partnership with the University of Worcester: website
All full-time teacher training programmes run from September to June and incorporate two school placements along with a comprehensive professional studies programme created in collaboration with the University of Worcester which is delivered in schools by serving, experienced teachers. This supplements 4 ‘ITaP’ (Intensive Training and Practice) weeks led by the University of Worcester.
To apply for Initial Teacher Training for September 2024, please visit the DfE Apply pages using the link below. Courses can be viewed and applications started from 3rd October 2023. Applications can be submitted from 10th October 2023 onwards.
Full Time PGCE with QTS (school-based)
Please click below to apply.
Primary 3-7 (C677)
Primary 5-11 (E105)
Primary (SEND) (X653)
Primary with physical education (G439)
Please fill out a form below to attend one of our information evenings.
If you have any additional questions or would like to find out more about our training programs, please email our Professional Mentor, Helen Jennings, at email@example.com. We are committed to helping aspiring teachers achieve their goals and look forward to hearing from you.
We are currently recruiting for 2024-2025 Primary Placements.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in teaching, there are various routes that you can take to achieve your goal. With the right training and support, you can develop the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in this rewarding profession. If you would like to discuss routes into teaching, you can reach out to Sarah Marsh via email. Alternatively, you can call 01527 832376for further details.
Do you want to train with the support of highly trained professionals?
The North Worcestershire Teacher Training Hub is an excellent choice for those looking to train to become an outstanding teacher. With a number of fantastic schools under our umbrella, we offer a wonderful learning environment for children that is warm, vibrant, lively, and safe. Our staff are committed to offering the children every opportunity to develop both academically and socially. Their commitment is evident in the plethora of enrichment and after-school activities and clubs that are available to the students.
Academically, The Spire Teaching and Learning Partnership is a top performer, achieving excellent results in terms of both progress and attainment. Over the last decade, we have been deeply committed to providing teacher training opportunities, and locally, we were one of the first middle schools to offer the school-centred teacher training PGCE and Early Years program. Our teacher training provision has gone from strength to strength, and we continue to be passionate about training the next generation of teachers.
If you're looking for a place to train as a teacher, The Spire Teaching and Learning Partnership should be at the top of your list. With our commitment to providing a high-quality education, you can be sure that you'll receive the training you need to become an outstanding teacher and make a real difference in the lives of your students.
“Your feedback and support throughout this year has genuinely made me the best teacher I could be. I can’t thank you enough.”
Why train with us?
Guaranteed Leadership Development as an Early Career Teacher and beyond
As an early career teacher, it can be daunting to navigate the world of teaching and find the right placement that will not only provide quality training but also help you develop your leadership skills. That's where our program comes in. We offer a range of quality placements in Early Years, Primary, and Middle School settings, across a wide geographical area.
Our programme is designed to provide a sustained school experience throughout the year, allowing successful applicants to be fully immersed in the school community. We work in partnership with excellent local alliance First and Middle Schools, which offer a unique range of expertise and experience. These placements are for trainees wishing to focus on the age range 3-7 and 5-11.
What sets us apart is our commitment to ensuring our trainees receive a comprehensive Early Career Teacher training programme. Many of our school-centred PGCE Trainees are offered an Early Career Teacher post, guaranteeing leadership development opportunities beyond the programme. With our programme, you can be confident that you are receiving the best possible training and support to kickstart your teaching career.
This school-centred teacher training PGCE and Early Years program allows you to achieve QTS and a PGCE qualification with credits towards Masters Accreditation.
We are looking to select trainees with outstanding potential and a commitment and enthusiasm for working with children.
- Honours degree normally (2:2) or higher from a United Kingdom higher education institution or equivalent qualification. Applicants with a 3rd class degree will be considered on an individual basis.
- All entrants have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 (formerly grade C) in the GCSE examinations in English Language, mathematics and science. (for 2022 entry, applicants must have these qualifications by the start of the course). Alternatively, we offer an equivalency test if you don’t have the required GCSE grade to apply for our courses. Trainees who begin courses before providing evidence of the required GCSE standard (or equivalent) will not be eligible for financial incentives, such as bursaries or grants until they achieve the required standard.
Qualifications not listed? Contact the Admissions Office for advice by email: AdmissionsB@worc.ac.uk
- An Enhanced DBS check. You will be sent details of how to apply for your DBS in the summer term. You will need to pay for this. You may already be part of the DBS update service. Find out about the update service here. As part of the DBS process, you will be checked against the Children’s Barred List.
- A check against the Prohibition List.
- If you have lived, studied or worked overseas for three months or more in the last five years a Certificate of Good Conduct from the country of residence will be required. Further information and guidance associated with additional costs are available from the Home Office.
- An online occupational health check. All those on a teacher training programme must be certified as meeting national requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach, as set by the Department for Education.
- International students: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
School experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Interviews will be conducted online. Applicants will be contacted directly with more details.
All applications for PGCE should be made via the Government's Find Postgraduate Teacher Training website.
Additional useful information is available on the Government's Get Into Teaching website.
For more information
For further information on the school-centred teacher training PGCE and Early Years program with The North Worcestershire Teacher Training Hub, please contact
tel: 01527 832376
“I have loved every minute of my time at St John’s and your amazing staff have taught me so much and I can’t wait t o put it to use.”